View All Posts

Mar 22

CA COVID-19 Rent Relief program is open

Posted on March 22, 2021 at 6:11 pm by Clay Curtin

If you are an income eligible renter who has experienced a financial hardship due to COVID-19 and have past due rent, or you are a landlord who has experienced a loss in income because of unpaid rent, you may be eligible to get financial assistance now through the CA COVID-19 Rent Relief program. The program accepts applications on an ongoing basis.

Landlords
Landlords who have income-eligible renters experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19 with past due rent can get reimbursed for 80 percent of an eligible renter’s unpaid rent between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021, if they agree to waive the remaining 20 percent of unpaid rent during that specific time period.

Renters
Eligible renters whose landlords choose not to participate in the program may apply on their own and receive 25 percent of unpaid rent between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021. Paying this 25 percent by June 30, 2021, can help keep you in your home under the eviction protections in the extension of the COVID-19 Tenant Relief Act (SB 91)

Additional financial assistance available through the CA COVID-19 Rent Relief program includes help paying past due utility payments accrued from April 1, 2020, through March 31, 2021, as well as help paying future utility bills. 

If one or more individuals in your household meet all of the following, you are eligible to apply:
  1. Have qualified for unemployment benefits or experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced other financial hardship due to COVID–19; and

  2. Demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability, which may include:
    • A past-due utility or rent notice or eviction notice
    • Unsafe or unhealthy living conditions
    • Any other evidence of such risk, as determined by the program
    • Have a household income that is not more than 80 percent of the AMI
For more information on qualifications and what you need to apply, visit the State's tenant and landlord resources webpage.

Blog--depressed-dog-laying-next-to-owner-paying-bills