Posted on December 21, 2020 at 7:36 pm by Clay Curtin
Online shopping is a safe and easy way to shop this holiday season and Menlo Park wants to ensure you do not fall victim to delivered packages being stolen off your front porch. Packages that are delivered and left unattended make for easy targets.
There are a few steps that can be taken by residents to try and prevent mail theft. While every tip may not be an option for all, there are some that everyone can use to reduce the chance of your mail or packages being stolen.
- Arrange for your mail to be delivered to a Post Office box.
- Sign up for delivery alerts from the shipper.
- Check your mailbox daily.
- Retrieve your packages from your porch as soon as they are delivered.
- Have packages delivered to a place where they can be received in person.
- Request that the shipper holds your package at its pick up facility so you can pick it up in person.
- Choose an alternate delivery location by using Amazon lockers or ship to store options.
- Request a specific delivery date and time from the shipper when you know you will be home.
- Provide delivery instructions to the shipper so that packages can be left at a safe location at your home that is out of sight from the street.
- Request that the shipper require a signature confirmation upon delivery. This will prevent your package from being left at an unattended home.
- Report suspected mail theft to your local police and the Postal Inspector
If you become the victim of package theft, please report that to the Police department at 650-330-6300. For additional crime prevention tips, visit our Crime Prevention