Flood insurance

The City of Menlo Park has been recognized for performing floodplain management activities above and beyond the minimum requirements for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). As a result of the City’s continuing efforts in floodplain management activities, Menlo Park has been certified to participate in the Community Rating System (CRS) program and proudly received Class 8 effective of October 1, 2020.

By joining CRS program with a rating of 8, property owners in the Flood zones A / AE are subject to a 10 percent discount on flood insurance premiums. Additionally, property owners located in Flood zone X are entitled to a 5 percent discount on flood insurance premiums. Please contact your insurance agent for additional information. 

The links below provide information about the NFIP which covers losses due to flooding. It is available to all buildings in the community and is required by federally-backed mortgage lenders who finance properties located in the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA).

Applying for a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA)

If you think your home is high enough to be removed from the flood plain designation, you can apply to FEMA for a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA). A surveyor must confirm the Base Flood Elevation (BFE) and the lowest adjacent grade (LAG) next to the house. If the LAG is at or above the BFE, FEMA is likely to grant a LOMA. The surveyor will need to fill out some information and sign the LOMA application form. Some surveyors may submit the LOMA application online and receive a quicker response. (A paper application usually results in a 60-day response period from FEMA.)